Skip to main content

Featured

All done

That's it. My teaching is over until September - provided some of my "clients" want me back. The phone and ADSL connection here are cancelled and could go off at any minute, the flat is basically clean but for one last hoover around and a quick mop and my landlady has given me an extension till half past one tomorrow when she will come for the keys. So Life in La Unión is now, almost officially, dead. I won't be back here next academic term so there will be no more entries. Just Life in Culebrón alive then. La Unión has not been my favourite home but the flat has served its purpose and I will miss the nearby bars when I'm back in Culebrón for the summer. In fact I think I might just pop out for one last chilli burger and a couple of beers now before settling down to watch tonight's episode of El chiringuito de Pepe. I may as well make the most of not working this evening and having the bars at hand. Thanks for reading. Hasta pronto.

From 100 Mb to 3

I needed to get myself an Internet connection.

Now Spain isn't exactly the third world. On the telly the big phone operators like ONO and Jazztel are offering fibre connections of up to 100Mb. La Union is small but it is a town, or at least a large village, not some rural hamlet, so I didn't expect any problem in getting a decent deal on a connection. I thought there may even be fibre.

Using a combination of my mobile phone and borrowed internet connections I had a look around the suppliers. ONO looked good but when it came down to it they have neither fibre nor ADSL to my new building. The Jazztel website seemed determined to cause me grief - it has those pages that lose all the details if you want to change something and annoying popups with offers to get someone to phone you. They didn't have coverage either. One of my work colleagues suggested a small local operator but it was the same story for La Union. They suggested another local firm who bragged of offering a breathtaking 3Mb without being correspondingly cheap.

My choices were rapidly disappearing. In Culebrón, until recently, the only people who could offer internet to such a forgotten backwater were the old state monopoly people. Although they've never treated us badly their offer isn't generally up to the opposition and I had held off looking at them. At least they could, according to their pathetic website,  supply a line. Their worst online offer was 10Mb.

After ages of fighting their website I bit the bullet and phoned a sales rep. I started with my please be gentle with me plea regarding the language and as per normal she forgot after the first sentence. As usual the sound quality  between the rep's headset and my mobile was appalling but, eventually, and at 8Mb for 35€ a month, I said yes.

The tricky bit came next; the voice contract. Blah blah blah - is that correct? she said. All correct I replied.

Who knows? I  may well have swapped Eddie the cat for a bit of telecoms kit.

Comments

Popular Posts