Skip to main content

Featured

All done

That's it. My teaching is over until September - provided some of my "clients" want me back. The phone and ADSL connection here are cancelled and could go off at any minute, the flat is basically clean but for one last hoover around and a quick mop and my landlady has given me an extension till half past one tomorrow when she will come for the keys. So Life in La Unión is now, almost officially, dead. I won't be back here next academic term so there will be no more entries. Just Life in Culebrón alive then. La Unión has not been my favourite home but the flat has served its purpose and I will miss the nearby bars when I'm back in Culebrón for the summer. In fact I think I might just pop out for one last chilli burger and a couple of beers now before settling down to watch tonight's episode of El chiringuito de Pepe. I may as well make the most of not working this evening and having the bars at hand. Thanks for reading. Hasta pronto.

Setting an example

Driving back to Culebrón from La Unión on Thursday last week I spotted a Guardia Civil van just as we were about to enter a 100 kph zone. I'm pretty law abiding anyway but I double checked my speed and slotted in behind the van doing just under the speed limit. When the limit dropped to 80 kph so did I but not so the van which steadily disappeared into the distance.

Some time ago there was a bit of a rumpus in Cartagena when drunken lads forced one of the Easter floats to retreat because of too much pushing and shoving. The next evening there was a big police presence outside the culprit bars. One of the police cars parked on a pavement causing both a traffic hazard and forcing pedestrians to walk in the roadway.

I've just watched something on the telly, on la Sexta, about the police in various cities. Sorting out domestic fights, dealing with date rape drugs in a bar, chasing people breaking into cars. Typical fly on the wall type documentary. As the police drove to incidents none of the police officers wore seat belts. Seat belts are compulsory in Spain.

I remember an incident in the UK of a police officer investigating a robbery in a supermarket. The officer helped himself to a chocolate bar as he passed one of the shelves. The supermarket manager made a complaint. We expect the highest standards from those whose jobs it is to uphold the law said the judge as he handed out a short prison sentence to the officer.

Comments

Popular Posts