Skip to main content

Featured

All done

That's it. My teaching is over until September - provided some of my "clients" want me back. The phone and ADSL connection here are cancelled and could go off at any minute, the flat is basically clean but for one last hoover around and a quick mop and my landlady has given me an extension till half past one tomorrow when she will come for the keys. So Life in La Unión is now, almost officially, dead. I won't be back here next academic term so there will be no more entries. Just Life in Culebrón alive then. La Unión has not been my favourite home but the flat has served its purpose and I will miss the nearby bars when I'm back in Culebrón for the summer. In fact I think I might just pop out for one last chilli burger and a couple of beers now before settling down to watch tonight's episode of El chiringuito de Pepe. I may as well make the most of not working this evening and having the bars at hand. Thanks for reading. Hasta pronto.

Teaching time

I presume you know I earn a living by teaching English. I shouldn't be writing this. I should be planning next week's lessons but I'm putting it off. I don't have to start work till 5pm tomorrow and that leaves me all morning to get myself sorted out. Plenty of time.

The place I work has a system. Students work with interactive teaching materials backed up by a grammar and a book of exercises. The English is basically taught using a number of key expressions or structures with the grammar and vocabulary being built up around those expressions and structures. Students work alone on the computers and books. Teachers are used to answer queries and in three sorts of classes.

Firstly, there is an assessment after each unit which is done as a class. Group size is no more than four people and usually it's just one or two students. Secondly and thirdly there are group sessions. One is a converation class and the other is a structured class built around the key phrases and structures. The individual and group classes are arranged on an on demand system morning, afternoon and evening which makes it all pretty flexible for the students. The amount of planning I have to do for any of the classes described above is pretty minimal.

I also do another type of class. I go out to the offices of two or three firms. This is much more traditional stuff in the sense that I have the same groups at the same time each week. I need to prepare for these groups. I have to find recordings, find suitable things to read and prepare a range of speaking exercises. Over the years I've built up quite a range of stuff but normally, each week, I add a bit more, retire some of the old stuff and keep records of who got what when and what I still have available. It's a chore but it's the job and it becomes part of the weekly pattern.

The problem is that it hasn't been my pattern for fourteen weeks now and buckling down to it seems to be something I'm a bit unwilling to do

Comments

Popular Posts