Skip to main content

Featured

All done

That's it. My teaching is over until September - provided some of my "clients" want me back. The phone and ADSL connection here are cancelled and could go off at any minute, the flat is basically clean but for one last hoover around and a quick mop and my landlady has given me an extension till half past one tomorrow when she will come for the keys. So Life in La Unión is now, almost officially, dead. I won't be back here next academic term so there will be no more entries. Just Life in Culebrón alive then. La Unión has not been my favourite home but the flat has served its purpose and I will miss the nearby bars when I'm back in Culebrón for the summer. In fact I think I might just pop out for one last chilli burger and a couple of beers now before settling down to watch tonight's episode of El chiringuito de Pepe. I may as well make the most of not working this evening and having the bars at hand. Thanks for reading. Hasta pronto.

Mad dogs

I've never really understood the Britons who live in Spain but very seldom actually visit the country. They stay at home listening to British radio, reading British papers and watching British TV surrounded by British food. I see no problem at all with keeping up with news from the UK or liking steak and kidney pudding - Britishness courses through our veins after all - but it often seems to be done at the expense of anything Spanish. These people do not have the vaguest idea about the history or geography of their new home, the culture passes them by and their knowledge of what's happening to the country is generally secondhand rumour. Even New Year is celebrated at GMT not local time.

I've heard Britons talk about red letter days on the calendar. It's not something echoed by Spaniards but it makes sense. Public holidays must be printed in red on calendars I suppose. Its not unusual for my compatriots to be unaware of these holidays. They know about British bank holidays but local ones escape them. It comes as a bit of a shock when they set out and find the bank or the supermarket closed.

I had to book the car in for a routine service.  It was the usual farce of a telephone conversation with half understood questions and answers on both sides. I don't work Fridays so I asked for an appointment then. "Friday's a fiesta," said the woman on the phone "All Saints Day." I could hear the derision in her voice. I felt the need for a cup of soothing Horlicks come over me. I knew that November 1st was a holiday I just didn't realise that Friday was the first. I felt stupid enough already but the woman on the phone found a splendid way to rub salt into the wound. Its Halloween she said, neatly anglicising the holiday for me.

Now where's my copy of the Huddersfield Examiner?

Comments

  1. Where Mum and Dad lived near Valencia and I visited them regularly, it was the same. All the expats wanted was the UK in a hot climate, and they didn't consider it in the least bit insulting that they ignored where they were - just so long as it was warm and they didn't have to go to work every day. But closer to (this) home - how about Brits who travel to these climates for a holiday? When they come home I ask them what they thought of the place, where was it exactly, did they see this or that feature, etc - and the answer was always the same: er, not quite sure where it was, but the hotel was lovely, and er, didn't really stir from the poolside, cos the kids liked it, etc etc, and then tell you at length about the early morning towel fights with the German tourists... Ugh
    Caroline
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to know you're still there Caroline

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts