Skip to main content

Featured

All done

That's it. My teaching is over until September - provided some of my "clients" want me back. The phone and ADSL connection here are cancelled and could go off at any minute, the flat is basically clean but for one last hoover around and a quick mop and my landlady has given me an extension till half past one tomorrow when she will come for the keys. So Life in La Unión is now, almost officially, dead. I won't be back here next academic term so there will be no more entries. Just Life in Culebrón alive then. La Unión has not been my favourite home but the flat has served its purpose and I will miss the nearby bars when I'm back in Culebrón for the summer. In fact I think I might just pop out for one last chilli burger and a couple of beers now before settling down to watch tonight's episode of El chiringuito de Pepe. I may as well make the most of not working this evening and having the bars at hand. Thanks for reading. Hasta pronto.

Waltzing Matilda

Sorry about the title I just couldn't resist and while we're here have you ever seen the version by Kylie Minogue sung at the 2000 Sydney Paralympics? Not a dry eye in the place. The Austrlians really should have chosen that song as their official national anthem.

Anyway, where was I. Ah yes, in the Centro de Interpretación de la Mina las Matildes in Beal close to La Unión. It's a couple of old pit head engine houses and the winding gear of a pit turned into a museum about the mining industry in the Sierra de Minera area. It's run by the local foundation that is trying to protect and promote the mining heritage of the area.

Their blurb says that they open every second and last Saturday of the month. This time I was smart enough to check. I sent a wasap (that's how we apparently say WhatsApp where I live) to the number on their website. I asked if they were open on Saturday. The reply was just one word; a clear and succinct - "sí."

Their website had a map too. Fortunately I printed it off because finding the place was not easy. There was a small sign but it depended on which way you were going as to whether you could see it or not. I was going in the other direction.

I was there for a long time. The chap who'd opened the building didn't have any other visitors. He asked me if I could understand Spanish, I said not much, he gave me a secret little test and having passed the test we then ran the gamut of mining terminology for the next couple of hours. Actually it was my English that failed. At one point he asked me what we called the stuff left over from mining and I couldn't remember so I told him it was called slag or scree but I had to come clean when he showed me some actual slag by which time I'd remebered the word spoil. Before long I will be incapable of speaking either language above basic user level.

I really did enjoy myself. He knew his stuff. I was interested. Three euros well spent. I even bought a little booklet to show my appreciation. I did suggest his foundation bought a few of those brown tourist signs though. He said that they had tried but that the local authority gave them so much gip about it that they just gave up.

Good thinking Batman!

Comments

Popular Posts